Pages

Monday, September 24, 2012

Twig Wall Art / Jewlery Display

As anyone that knows me is aware I have a bit of an obession with Trees.  My favorite is the Willow but I love trees of any variety.  From the way they bloom in the spring, the fullness of leaves and flowers in summer, the colorfulness of fall and even the bare branches of winter.  Because of this love I decided to make a display piece out of twigs.  This piece can be used as wall art or for organizing and displaying jewlery.  It could also be put into a base and set upon a shelf or dresser.  Hope you enjoy the new piece.



Here is the completed piece as wall art.  Place in the middle of exsiting pictures to add character.

Start by collecting twigs.  Make sure that they are not too thin, the thinner they are the harder it is to prevent breakage.


Remove the bark using a utility knife or razor blade. 
Note: I used a utitlity knife for the stalk and a razor blade for tight spaces.
Removing bark is optional, but keeps jewlery clean from debris.



Once bark is removed, Sand to remove sharp edges and smooth.


Paint or Stain individual pieces.  I chose to use a clear spray paint.



Next use wire to connect the twigs to eachother.  I also put a dab of glue between the wire and twig for extra hold.

 You can use crafting wire, but I chose to take wire from an old decorative piece that I no longer use.



I just removed pieces with enough length and that I thought would go with my piece.


Then I removed leaves from the wires so I would just have the base wire.


This is the piece with all the twigs connected.  Allow plenty of dry time for your glue to set.


I then added some leafy pieces from my old decoration to add a little flavor.
You may add any type of extra decoration to the piece, or keep it basic without extras.


Here is the piece with jewelry.  You can place necklaces, braclets, watches, rings & earrings on it.


To hang the piece I used a wall hook and fishing line.  I just tied a short length of fishing line to the piece behind one of my leafy decoritive spots, then I tied the other end to the wall hook. 

Adjust the length so that the piece will hang close to the wall or angle away from the wall a bit.

This piece was fun but it was fairly time comsuming.  The longest part is striping the bark.  I spent a week working on it, but the time I spent was spaced out to include time for regular household chores, family time, and other projects.  In all I spent around 1 to 2 hours a day working on it. 


No comments:

Post a Comment